Karangahape Road Enhancements Update
Work gets underway on Karangahape Road
On 29 July 2019, work began between Symonds Street and Upper Queen Street. Then, on 12 August, work started between Ponsonby Road and Howe Street.
The project recognises the importance of Karangahape Road to the success of the Auckland Plan 2050 and the City Centre Master Plan. As well as being an iconic location within the city, thousands of people walk along Karangahape Road every day, it is one of the busiest cycle routes in the city and an important bus route. Delivery of the Karangahape Road Enhancements project is in advance of the arrival of the City Rail Link (completion 2024) to the area.
The main benefits of the project will be:
- A safer, more appealing pedestrian environment.
- More space for outdoor dining and street activities.
- A safer route for people on bikes.
- Improved transport choices.
- Improved bus efficiency and reliability.
- A greener environment.
- An environment that reflects Māori cultural values.
For Information about the Karangahape Road enhancement, follow this link.