Artspace Aotearoa seeking Gallery Assistant
Casual Gallery Assistant
Artspace Aotearoa is seeking a highly motivated person for the position of Gallery Assistant. This is a casual position focused on building public engagement and enhancing audience and visitor experience.
Our street-level location on Karangahape Road makes our gallery space one of the most visible and accessible art spaces within the busy heart of Tāmaki Makaurau.
As an independent contemporary arts organisation Artspace Aotearoa has a vision and mission focused on diverse and dynamic programming centred on supporting artists to take risks.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Managing the Front of House and gallery during your scheduled hours.
- Greeting and welcoming visitors and stakeholders as per the gallery assistant’s operational requirements.
- Growing the sales of our artist editions through both our physical editions shop in the gallery and our web-shop, and managing a modest edition and publication stock.
- Handling and packaging of artworks and publications.
- General administrative assistance.
- Data and image collection and processing.
- Public Events management.
This role suits someone who is passionate about contemporary art, with an aptitude for customer engagement. This role also requires confidence with retail operations and customer service - putting people and their experiences first.
Key skills required for this role include:
- A broad knowledge of contemporary art.
- A high standard of professionalism, initiative and attention to detail.
- Confidence with handling and discussing artworks, including initiating sales conversations.
- Excellent spoken and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Confidence with both facilitating public inquiries and concerns.
- Excellent problem solving skills, with an ability to independently determine solutions.
- Good general administration skills: experience in managing spreadsheets, facilitating and managing logistics.
What we can offer:
Support for professional development within the scope of your Front of House and Gallery Assistant role: We encourage individuals to propose ideas and projects relative to their personal interests and skills which they wish to implement or contribute to. There is also potential for this role to develop into a fixed-term position in the future.
At Artspace Aotearoa we are committed to the hauora of our people. We support the growth and development of our whānau in mana enhancing ways. We aim to support personal and professional growth through our networking and learning opportunities.
Artspace Aotearoa considers diversity, equity and inclusion to be fundamental for a more representative art sector: we encourage applicants from all genders, sexual orientations, ethnicities, physical and cognitive abilities. We embrace all individuals from all our diverse communities to apply.
$24 p/h, Exact hours to be mutually agreed upon between Artspace Aotearoa and the selected candidate.
How to Apply:
Should you believe you have what we seek; you possess the skill-set and experience this position requires, then you are warmly encouraged to apply.
Please submit for consideration CV and a supporting statement, or a short video (less than 2 minutes) to firstname.lastname@example.org.