Call For Proposals: 4/4, New Artists Show 2019
Call For Proposals
Friday 12 July 2019
Artspace Aotearoa is calling for submissions of work from artists and writers for its upcoming 2019 new artists show.
Four artists will be selected to present individual projects across two exhibition periods. For each of the four-week exhibitions, Artspace Aotearoa’s gallery spaces will be divided between two artists. This structure is designed to enable an artist at the start of their career an opportunity to present existing or new work at Artspace Aotearoa.
4/4 recognises the continuous challenge that emerging artists face as part of a curatorial overview exercise. When multiple new artists are hung in close quarters, asked to respond to a pressing issue or connecting theme, the critical and artistic qualities they were chosen for can be consumed by their shared status as representatives of contemporary practice.
This effect will always be present, novelty doesn’t have to be the dominant lens through which these exhibitions are read. Embracing the roots of what a show for ‘new artists’ can or should be, 4/4 aims to uncomplicate things, using a simple curatorial format that allows four distinct projects to speak with their own voices.
Artists are invited to propose a project representative of their evolving practice, demonstrating their individual aesthetic and critical concerns. Artspace Aotearoa also invites four emerging arts writers to work with the exhibiting artists, producing four essays for a publication that will provide context, analysis, and storytelling for the work exhibited.
Open call for Artists:
- 500-800 word imaginative proposal or up to 6 minute video recording.
- One image for the purpose of illustration, clarity or inspiration, does not have to be of the proposed work itself.
- Recent graduate.
Artists will receive:
- Artist fee of $1500.
- Production budget, the amount will be negotiated within the requirements and nature of the work.
Open call for Writers:
- Supplied statement outlining areas of critical or artistic interests and expertise.
- Two examples of previous published work.
Writers will receive:
- $750 for a 1500-2000 word essay.
- Note: writers will be paired with selected artists.
- Applications closes at 5pm on Friday 12 July.
- Selected Artists and Writers will be announced Friday 26 July.
Install and Opening 1:
- Install: Sunday 18 August - Thursday 29 August.
- Exhibition 1, Opening Night: Friday 30 August.
Install and Opening 2:
- Install: Sunday 29 September - Thursday 10 October.
- Exhibition 2, Opening Night: Friday 11 October.
Send proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Friday 12 July.
Image: The River Remains; ake tonu atu, Tyson Campbell, Wai Ching Chan, Faamele Etuale, Olyvia Hong, Bronte Perry. Artweek Electric Night, 2018